Raul Malo Sign Up For Email Updates
HomeAboutNewsTourMusicVideosGalleriesJournalFansForumStoreFriendsContact
October 21, 2014, 01:01:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Betty Badd  (Read 4980 times)
FIGJAM
Veteran

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:22:21 am »

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I hadn't seen it ...

BETTY BADD'S JEWELRY TAKES OVER NASHVILLE

By Stephanie Stewart
January 1, 2009

Yes, her name really is Betty Badd. Well, OK, it’s Beatriz Malo, but Malo (her last name by marriage) means “bad” in Spanish, and her father called her Betty from birth.
Cuban-born and Miami-raised (her father’s Cuban and her mother’s American), Malo came to Nashville 15 years ago with her husband, musician Raul Malo of The Mavericks.
An artist all her life, painting at home while raising her three boys, she shifted her focus to fashion after trying her metal-foil and oil painting technique successfully on leather, hand-painting and gilding it with gold, platinum and silver.
This led to her first line of accessories, and now her creations are worn by a huge number of celebrities including Justin Timberlake, Outkast, Jamie Foxx, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood and Sheryl Crow.
In three short years she’s grown a small, boutique, one-woman business into an operation represented in major retailers large and small across the nation.
Currently she works out of a large studio in a converted industrial building on Chestnut Street.
“The best thing about this studio is that it’s the only one in the whole building that has a bathroom of its own,” she says when I meet her for the interview.
It’s like stepping into a fantasy world: she’s hand-painted all the doors and her metal foil and oil paintings hang on the walls amid an assortment of built-in shelves that have been turned into mini-shrines both spiritual and secular. No one can accuse her of trying to tamp down her naturally exotic aesthetic.
She still does the exquisite gilded leatherwork, but now there’s also a line of jewelry in precious metals, cultured pearls and semi-precious stones.
She combines a very contemporary rock ‘n’ roll feel with elements of Cuba in its heyday in the 1950s and a touch of Eastern sensibility.
The resulting line is both unusual and striking. She loves layering pieces—multiple necklaces, yes, but also layers of anklets in semi-precious stones, an abundance of bracelets in the Cuban fashion, and the particularly popular hip chains that have taken off with both her celebrity and ordinary clientele.
She got her line started by taking her wares door-to-door along New York’s Fifth Avenue shops and boutiques (rather than shelling out the $15,000 it takes to do one of the major trade shows), carrying herself as if money wasn’t an issue.
Fortunately, high-end retailers loved her and her rock-star aura, and before long she was supplying boutiques everywhere.
By last year, she was named MTV’s best new designer at the Magic trade show in Las Vegas.
In the midst of her growing success, she’s taking the time to rebrand the line to underscore her Cuban origins.
She’s got new cigar-style labels and packaging, bringing to mind Cuba’s most iconic export. “Cuba has a mystique, and the new packaging takes our rock ‘n’ roll image to a new level of sophistication,” Malo says with pride.
Still, she remains aware that Nashville, from the lifestyle to the music industry, has also had a huge impact on her life and career.
“If we’d stayed in Miami, I don’t know where I’d be creatively,” she says.
“Nashville’s made it easy for me to climb up. There’s a hunger here for style and culture that’s been developing for the past ten years, and I’m lucky enough to have been part of that. I can sit and reflect in peace and tranquility here, but I can also climb the economic ladder. For a woman—and a mother—that’s very important.”
Malo’s definitely climbing some ladders, and reaching the top.
With intricate designs visible on the Nashville and Hollywood elite and, increasingly, on ordinary people in the know, there’s no doubt she’s having an impact.
Her next big-time goal? To have the first major fashion show in a Castro-free Cuba.
No small feat, but there’s no question she has the force of will to pull it off.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Loco
Grand Poobah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:54:43 am »

Thanks Ray, how interesting! What an amazing woman, I'm so pleased she's getting the right reward for all her hard work.
Carolyn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:10:41 am »

Thanks Ray - obviously a very talented couple !

Carolyn
Susie
Grand Poobah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 04:41:48 am »

Thanks Ray, hadnt seen that article. She's a lovely lady, infact they are a lovely couple!
I have looked at her work on the internet and I like it very much.
Loco
Grand Poobah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 05:32:05 am »

Thanks Ray, hadnt seen that article. She's a lovely lady, infact they are a lovely couple!
I have looked at her work on the internet and I like it very much.
Yes, stunning, isn't it Susie!
charlene
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:41:58 am »

very nice!
MariaChiara
Grand Poobah

Peace, love and music

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:15 am »

I also noticed she has a new MySpace....Looks like she is adding beauty products to her line!

http://www.myspace.com/bettymalostyleandbeauty

“For every broken-hearted lover, love was once anew. And that will be the hope that gets me through eternity. Along with all the memories that belong to you and me.”  ~Raul Malo, "Fall Apart"
sunflower
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:44 pm »

Man, take the wind right out of a girl's sails, why don't ya.
cmpblue
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:00 pm »

I was looking at her new website the other day. Really gorgeous stuff...honestly, Betty...beautiful, talented, three handsome sons an ok husband...LOL Not fair! But oh...I wish I could afford her jewelry. It's stunning. Years ago I saw some beautiful paintings she had done of a Buddha...truly lovely.
Crista

I can't express
the ridiculous excess of joy;
the right set of chords,
the juxtaposition of a few notes and words,
can bring to a heart
that had broken apart
into thousands of pieces...
What a miracle this is!
Loco
Grand Poobah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »

I know what you mean Crista... if only I had the money!!
cmpblue
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »

Man, take the wind right out of a girl's sails, why don't ya.

Sunny, it's best to face the truth early on... Wink We can all share the joy of that lovely voice, we can't take it home with us! LOL
Crista

I can't express
the ridiculous excess of joy;
the right set of chords,
the juxtaposition of a few notes and words,
can bring to a heart
that had broken apart
into thousands of pieces...
What a miracle this is!
ShelleyP

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:05 pm »

Or, we can take it home with us on the iPod, tell the hubby to put on that scarf, have a few glasses of wine, give thanks that the hubby knows Spanish, and that does pretty well too.   Wink
sunflower
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:50:37 pm »

Okay, but I'm gonna need to borrow your hubby when you're done with him.
ShelleyP

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 06:09:01 pm »

He's pretty great.. he sang Besame Mucho in my ear a couple of weeks ago.

Shall I send him Fedex?
sunflower
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

Overnight express priority no signature required.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: