Raul Malo Sign Up For Email Updates
HomeAboutNewsTourMusicVideosGalleriesJournalFansForumStoreFriendsContact
November 20, 2014, 02:27:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: MaloCon most likely will be rescheduled  (Read 11902 times)
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2010, 09:04:56 am »

Well Debbie you live there, I do not, but have visited there in the past.  My home office used to be in San Antonio.  Listen, I'm not saying that Greune Hall is not a good "venue".  What I am saying is central Texas damn sure is not NYC.  There is NO comparison.  When your asking people to come from one end of the country or from Canada, I think I'd like to see more than just a concert, I want a "vacation" on top of that.  Your area to me certainly is not in the same "world" as NYC.  NYC is an ongoing adventure and I think people want a "happening" not just an "event".  But, listen, that's just my take.  Raul will make the call.  Miami unless you know something I do not, will never happen.  To many "what ifs".  I do not like Miami, it's airport is a pain, and it is a giant sprawling metro.  If your near the beach your very far from the central city, the best hotels like the "art deco" ones on South Beach are very expensive, and one plane ticket from here is over $400 per person.  Getting anyone from the mid-west there is going to be expensive, and I just don't think a Key West / Miami run is doable.  That drive is a LONG ass drive, I've done it dozens of times and it is long and tedious.

NYC is still my pick.  Texas gets Raul all the time, there are others in other parts of this country that deserve a shot, plus have an amazing adventure beyond just the two shows.  Manhattan beats the Alamo everyday all day.  Wink

best, J
ktwolf
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2010, 09:34:00 am »

NYC is easiest for me... I can just take Amtrak down from Albany.  It would be awesome if we could work MaloCon around a Rockin' the River Cruise (RM: are you doing that again this summer?)  There ARE some affordable hotel options... and folks can share rooms, if desired.

It'd be great fun to go to Gruene, and RM seems to have an affinity for the Austin area.  Plus, I'd love to go see Tom Lewis & Heybale.

Michigan would be great.  And I'd love to have a MaloCon in Miami -- if not this year, maybe sometime in the not so distant future (or a mini-con affiliated with the Key West festival).

California is fine with me... my mother-in-law lives about an hour away from Bakersfield... but it's not a very lovely part of the state (San Diego is, however, a wonderful town).

I'm game for just about anyplace, anytime, though... with enough advanced notice (I'll be making Summer travel plans, and I'll want to work around MaloCon). 

"No matter where you go... there you are."
  -- Buckaroo Banzai
gruenetx
Grand Poobah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2010, 09:59:06 am »

John, I was only responding to you saying you didn't think Raul would sell out Gruene Hall 2 nights in a row.  Happens all the time.  Merry Christmas!

Debbie

One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes; but for real bona fide stupidity, nothing beats teamwork. -- Mark Twain
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2010, 10:13:47 am »

the man never ceases to amaze me!  LOL

peace, John
elainesangel
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2010, 11:42:41 am »

...and the unofficial voting goes on Smiley

I love that everyone is pitching their favourite cities but, ultimately, it's Raul and his team that will decide.
Hopefully it will be in a place where maximum people can attend. Like everyone else I have my preferred spots but the good news is, when I mentioned it to my husband, he was very open to going regardless of the city. Maybe my female wiles are better than I thought Smiley

Still the whole event will be very expensive for me, (and probably others), so the sooner we know, the easier it will be to save and plan for.

Elaine
Helen S

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2010, 06:44:13 pm »

I think it's clear here that Raul will simply have to do a USMalocon tour, hitting oh, fifteen or twenty states.

I like this idea. Malo Con across America...nay, the world! Just hire a brightly painted bus (The Partridges never use theirs any more...the bus may need to float or fly for the oversea excursions. Should be possible, Cubans are very good with old vehicles) and go from town to town gathering old fans and new friends together in a series of "Malo Love Ins"! Don't forget the unpopular
  Cry states...converting heathens is always fun.
Crista

And make the bus big enough for us all to come along!

Be wise, be kind, be true.
Mimi Cathie

You might as well DANCE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2010, 10:10:33 pm »

"Malo Love-Ins Across America" - love it!   Grin

But since that is, sadly, unlikely - maybe it is possible to have 2 smaller Malo-Cons - one in the east and one in the west/southwest.  I know it goes against the idea of getting everyone together in one place, but that is not going to happen, no matter where it is planned.

Therefore, if I vote "unofficially" - I vote for:

New York.
New York.
New York.
New York. 

That counts as 4 votes from me, hubby, and the 2 Malo-fan friends who would not hesitate to go to NYC for this event with us.  Since we cannot fly across the country at this time (cost prohibitive, etc.), a 4-8 hour drive is the only option for us.

As much as I would LOVE to get to that area of Texas some day (not to mention California and indeed the rest of this beautiful country of ours) it is definitely not doable in the immediate future for us.  But a 4 hour drive down to NYC for a couple of days is possible.  Or maybe Philly or Pittsburgh.

John is right about NYC:  there are plenty of options - in all price ranges - for food, accommodations, etc. Folks may be spread out more than one would hope, as compared to a small place like Gruene, but coming together for the Malo-Con events every evening is the most important part.  Dinner, sound check, shows, after-parties - can all be done there.  My gawd - it is NYC! The place that never sleeps!

Once Raul gets a handle on where he can and will be booking gigs - perhaps he'll have more than one option and then could put up a poll to take actual votes.

No matter what happens, we will all stand by our fearless leader - who has the chutzpah to even deal with such a motley bunch!    Cheesy
TxJudy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2010, 08:55:31 am »

My location vote is Texas...I know we are not officially voting, so I am just sayin'   Grin

Gruene Hall (if not in the heat of summer)
San Antonio
Austin
Dallas
Houston

Dallas or Houston?  That must have been the pain meds talking.  In my right mind, there is no way I would vote for Dallas or Houston.

(Pain meds?  Had a nasty car crash, but I am on my way to being fine)
Lucky One D

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:42 am »

Judy!  When did you have the car crash?!!  What is happening, my friend?  And how was Hawaii!!?Huh

D
sunflower
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2010, 10:09:00 am »

Glad to hear you have pain meds.  Cheesy
ktwolf
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:18 am »

YIKES, Judy!  A CAR CRASH?  How awful!!  I hope you feel better soon!!!

-- Buckaroo Banzai
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

One thing that has also not been brought out is "our combined ability" to negotiate.  By that I mean if there are say, 70+ people coming, needing say 45 rooms, we can cut a very strong deal.  I know that ALL musicians who travel have hotel "Deals" that let's say they are in Houston or Denver that they have set rates, which are much lower than normal to accommodate bands and there staff.  My cousin is the "massage therapist" for the Indiana Pacer basketball team, he travels to 41 away games a year with them.  They ALWAYS stay at either the Ritz Carlton or the Four Seasons chains.  You don't think they get a huge discount?  I know they do, and it is significant.  
Same with Raul traveling, you think that when you are buying 7 rooms, you pay the same as buying 1 room?, no way in hell.  If this happens in NYC and we know months in advance we can / will "negotiate" a rate for 40 rooms, end of story.  I'm as frugal as I am travel smart, and I don't mind telling you, the SQUEAKY WHEEL gets the grease, and buddy I can tell you from traveling my entire life, I know how to work the system, as does Raul, and every other person who has spent a 'life" wandering this globe.  So this "expensive" thing is just BS, if we work together as a team we can kick ass and take names.

peace, J
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:34:39 am by Asheville » Logged
ktwolf
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »

Maybe we should let YOU negotiate our room rates, John!   Wink

-- Buckaroo Banzai
mamadel
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »

I second that!   Wink 

"You don't love someone for their looks, or their clothes, or their fancy car, but because they sing a song only you can hear."  Oscar Wilde
cmpblue
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2010, 07:12:21 pm »

And I'd love to have a MaloCon in Miami -- if not this year, maybe sometime in the not so distant future (or a mini-con affiliated with the Key West festival).

Sorry Kathy, John has spoken and Miami is apparently unacceptable.

Miami unless you know something I do not, will never happen.  To many "what ifs".  I do not like Miami, it's airport is a pain, and it is a giant sprawling metro.  If your near the beach your very far from the central city, the best hotels like the "art deco" ones on South Beach are very expensive, and one plane ticket from here is over $400 per person.  Getting anyone from the mid-west there is going to be expensive, and I just don't think a Key West / Miami run is doable.  That drive is a LONG ass drive, I've done it dozens of times and it is long and tedious.

best, J

Although...even if some do not like it here and there is no Malo Con...a surprising number of people visit here regularly and seem to enjoy their stay.
On the bright side for me, Raul's post from earlier this week. So even if Malo Con is not a possibility...maybe some shows are and some forum folk will come. I would be happy with mini Malo Con. I will keep praying, hoping, wishing and someday...

I'm sorry Crista... I really wish it were different. Here's the good news...don't quote me on this, but there is a strong possibility that there will be several shows booked in the South Florida area...2011 is going to be a good year Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy!!! RM

Raul, even if the above doesn't happen right away; thank you for at least saying there's a chance.

John, I am just having fun with you. I know you don't like this area and that is certainly your right. But I tell you...a couple of forum folk have visited Miami me in the past two years and they have had a blast here...a couple of them are already planning return visits. So even if John doesn't like it here, with all due respect to John's opinion, some folks disagree and enjoy us quite a bit. As for the area being expensive, it is but so is New York and the same bargaining measures that work for New York work in Miami. It's true the city is spread out, but there are very quaint, charming areas with hotels and restaurants within walking distance and not too pricey. South Miami near me is lovely and has a lot of charm. (see my birthday pics on facebook); Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Little Havana are all very charming and not all the hustle and bustle of South Beach...although I recently spent the day there with our Mary Rose (South Beach Mary) and had a great time. The ride to Key West, is tedious to some, but beautiful to others...the color of the water is spectacular, the bouganvillea just about everywhere...some areas are a bit tattered, but have a quality that makes them appealing...and Key West...is totally cool.

So...I must defend my little corner of the world...although, I totally respect the right of John or any others to not like us. We all have a right to our opinion.

Crista...Moon over Miami....lalalala

I can't express
the ridiculous excess of joy;
the right set of chords,
the juxtaposition of a few notes and words,
can bring to a heart
that had broken apart
into thousands of pieces...
What a miracle this is!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: