Raul Malo Sign Up For Email Updates
HomeAboutNewsTourMusicVideosGalleriesJournalFansForumStoreFriendsContact
October 21, 2014, 07:28:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: MaloCon most likely will be rescheduled  (Read 11586 times)
elainesangel
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2010, 08:54:46 pm »

Maybe we should let YOU negotiate our room rates, John!   Wink
Yep, kick ass and take names - John, you need to be our official negotiator for all rates MaloCon Smiley
Elaine
elainesangel
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2010, 09:03:50 pm »

Crista,
I'd certainly be open to Miami...in a heartbeat. I understand all the reasons why not but as I mentioned in a previous post, I don't understand why the great city of Miami doesn't bend over backwards to accomodate their native son. The venues should be falling all over themselves to bring Raul back to town. I've been to Miami a few times (personally, I love it there) although like all other big cities it has its pros and cons. Still, I hope wherever MaloCon ends up that YOU get to go. There definitely needs to be representation from the hometown crowd. If nothing else, Raul's offering of hope for some dates close to you in 2011 should be enough to make you break out in the happy dance Smiley

Elaine
cmpblue
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2010, 09:08:02 pm »

My location vote is Texas...I know we are not officially voting, so I am just sayin'   Grin

Gruene Hall (if not in the heat of summer)
San Antonio
Austin
Dallas
Houston

Dallas or Houston?  That must have been the pain meds talking.  In my right mind, there is no way I would vote for Dallas or Houston.

(Pain meds?  Had a nasty car crash, but I am on my way to being fine)

I was just re reading the thread and saw this. Glad you are on your way to being fine! No more crashes!
Crista

I can't express
the ridiculous excess of joy;
the right set of chords,
the juxtaposition of a few notes and words,
can bring to a heart
that had broken apart
into thousands of pieces...
What a miracle this is!
elainesangel
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2010, 09:16:08 pm »

My location vote is Texas...I know we are not officially voting, so I am just sayin'   Grin
Gruene Hall (if not in the heat of summer)
San Antonio
Austin
Dallas
Houston
Dallas or Houston?  That must have been the pain meds talking.  In my right mind, there is no way I would vote for Dallas or Houston.
(Pain meds?  Had a nasty car crash, but I am on my way to being fine)

I was just re reading the thread and saw this. Glad you are on your way to being fine! No more crashes!
Crista
Me too, Crista. Hope you are well on the mend TxJudy.
Elaine
MariaChiara
Grand Poobah

Peace, love and music

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2010, 10:25:52 pm »

We can absolutely negotiate hotel rates for MaloCon. When I booked Raul in Templeton in 2007 I negotiated not only hotel rates for the band (since we were paying for those) but also a group rate for any out of towners that were coming in for the show and it worked out great. Folks got a cheaper rates at the usually pricey historic Paso Robles Inn and the hotel got a lot of business they wouldn't normally have had on a Monday night. A win/win for everyone.

Oh and Crista I am DYING to come to Miami and have some fun in the sun with you!  Grin  And Jeremy won't let me go without him cause he wants to see a Dolphin's game. You will definitely be seeing us one of these days... Cool

“For every broken-hearted lover, love was once anew. And that will be the hope that gets me through eternity. Along with all the memories that belong to you and me.”  ~Raul Malo, "Fall Apart"
Helen S

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2010, 05:18:11 am »

Bottom line for me..just tell me where and when. I'll be there, God willing!

Be wise, be kind, be true.
GoodEarthGal

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2010, 06:45:37 am »

Let the negotiations begin!     I want a non-smoking queen room preferably on the fifth floor or lower!  Having survived  one hotel fire, I really don't reckon my odds are too good  for escaping from a room over the fifth floor.
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2010, 08:10:16 am »

Crista, Miami is a GREAT place to visit, no question about it.  I think you miscued my "dislike" on a "visiting scale" to a dislike of "living " there.  I have had some awesome times in Miami.  Denise's 03 "travel Convention" was at the Coconut Grove Ritz Carlton, wow, what a property, and Joe's Stone Crab is one of the greatest restaurants in America, I would kill for a slice of there key lime pie.  And, just to get a "hit" of Cuban coffee in one of dozens of those cafes along with a sandwich, fu.... heaven I tell you.  I have seen so many great acts there from Don Henley to Gino Vanelli, to Kenny Rankin.  Miami and I are really "friends", I just couldn't deal with it daily. Now "living there" is a totally different deal.  Like you said it is very very sprawling, if you go from like Hialeah to Kendall, man that is a long way, or from 163 st. to Homestead your talking a hell of a long way.  And yes the drive from Key West to Miami is in fact beautiful, just don't let there be a pile up, then your looking at up to 12 hours, if a copter is involved. 
I just don't think Raul can pull off a venue for two nights in the city, and to link Key West to Miami is a serious reach.  Now if in fact Raul plays a gig in Tampa or West Palm, or Orlando, I have accommodations in all those places, as well as Key West, so I could see family and hit a Raul show at the same time.

If this does come to pass, I have zero problem taking my case to the Hilton, Radisson or any other hotel.  Multiple rooms is a god send to a hotel, and they will indeed work with us.  Of course the Suite they throw in goes to Denise and I.  LOL Smiley 

I hope this can happen for the group, either way 2011looks to be a good year.  "good things" for us all.   
charlene
Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 28, 2010, 08:17:50 am »

new york---oh yes..dream come true.  John its in your hands...and miami would be fine too--crista ---fingers crossed!!  bring on the good stuff John!!!
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:05 am »

Char, right with you my dear!

J
cmpblue
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:36 am »

Crista, Miami is a GREAT place to visit, no question about it.  I think you miscued my "dislike" on a "visiting scale" to a dislike of "living " there.  I have had some awesome times in Miami.  Denise's 03 "travel Convention" was at the Coconut Grove Ritz Carlton, wow, what a property, and Joe's Stone Crab is one of the greatest restaurants in America, I would kill for a slice of there key lime pie.  And, just to get a "hit" of Cuban coffee in one of dozens of those cafes along with a sandwich, fu.... heaven I tell you.  I have seen so many great acts there from Don Henley to Gino Vanelli, to Kenny Rankin.  Miami and I are really "friends", I just couldn't deal with it daily. Now "living there" is a totally different deal.  Like you said it is very very sprawling, if you go from like Hialeah to Kendall, man that is a long way, or from 163 st. to Homestead your talking a hell of a long way.  And yes the drive from Key West to Miami is in fact beautiful, just don't let there be a pile up, then your looking at up to 12 hours, if a copter is involved. 
I just don't think Raul can pull off a venue for two nights in the city, and to link Key West to Miami is a serious reach.  Now if in fact Raul plays a gig in Tampa or West Palm, or Orlando, I have accommodations in all those places, as well as Key West, so I could see family and hit a Raul show at the same time.

If this does come to pass, I have zero problem taking my case to the Hilton, Radisson or any other hotel.  Multiple rooms is a god send to a hotel, and they will indeed work with us.  Of course the Suite they throw in goes to Denise and I.  LOL Smiley 

I hope this can happen for the group, either way 2011looks to be a good year.  "good things" for us all.   

I am glad you see some of our positives. There are more positives than you can imagine. We are far from perfect. But we have a certain something...a wonderful mix of people, an energy...

At this point, because there is zero publicity for Raul in this area...and apart from the Fountainebleau in 08 which was a private event with no press etc..yes, there is limited interest...but there is interest....there is me...I count for several fans because I am overly enthusiastic...but there are many who remember Raul from his school days and his time performing here with The Mavericks and I think we could get a nice crowd for him...so maybe the first time he works here it will be a one show deal...but once the audience hears him...they will be begging for more. With a little publicity...I know, our day will ...and we'll have everything...multiple sell outs...his own club...an arena...the fans clamoring for more Raul more Raul!!! and they all get arrested coz the police think it's a pro Raul Castro rally and well...back to no more shows..ah well.

Crista

I can't express
the ridiculous excess of joy;
the right set of chords,
the juxtaposition of a few notes and words,
can bring to a heart
that had broken apart
into thousands of pieces...
What a miracle this is!
Asheville
Grand Poobah

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

LOL  "the fans clamoring for more Raul more Raul!!! and they all get arrested coz the police think it's a pro Raul Castro rally and well...back to no more shows..ah well."

I guess my biggest bitch about Miami would be than damn I-95, I despise that road.  and The Palmetto, if that what it's still called, just didn't fix anything.  Like most cities Crista, it just got way to big.  I would die to see Raul play Gusman Hall, if it is still there.  What a stunning theatre, truly beautiful, the ghosts of so many shows, from Kenny Rankin to Johnny Mathis remain with me.  Another long lost favorite was the Miami Marine Stadium, where I saw the great band Ambrosia in there prime "Hold'in On To Yesterday", "Biggest Part Of Me", they were amazing.  The James L Knight Center with John Fogerty, Kenny Loggins and Don Henley.  The old Jai Lai Fronton, with Seals and Crofts, Jefferson Starship and Gino Vannelli.  If I added up my shows I've seen in Miami it surely would be well over a 100.  But maybe my favorite "get" was when I lived there was at this club off Brickel Ave. where me and my clan fell in love with the "house act" the great Bobby Caldwell.  I saw him play there at least 40 times.  I can still hear him playing "What You Won't Do For Love" and the girls going crazy.  I still am a HUGE fan of him, he is SPECTACULAR live. 

I remember spending long afternoons at Monty's overlooking the bay, I know I'm aging myself, I don't give a damn, Miami was good to me, then it just got so very very big.  and within that came the anger and haste of people living on the edge, and the pressure and rage that comes in tandem with that.  that and that insidious drug "cocaine" which changed everything.

"everything changes, nothing stays the same"

I do hope Raul can rekindle that state, I still can't believe he is not doing great there.  oh well.

best, J

lucyinthesky

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

This sounds like it would be a lot of fun where ever it is.   Of course not being thrilled about flying(and since I don't have to worry about a conflict of interest with  Bruce not touring in the near future)  I would love if it was driving distance from NY, but that's for me to figure out.
Helen S

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 04:59:57 am »

Any news on MaloCon?

Be wise, be kind, be true.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: